The BCCI/IPL, on Monday, despatched an announcement confirming two cricketers from the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) camp – Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier – examined optimistic and the match between KKR and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), scheduled for Monday has been postponed for now.
“The medical group can be figuring out the shut and informal contacts of the 2 optimistic circumstances in the course of the 48 hours previous to gathering the pattern,” the BCCI assertion added.
Nonetheless, it isn’t simply the Knight Riders camp battling Covid and in a state of panic for the time being.
Three members of the Chennai Tremendous Kings franchise, together with bowling coach Laxmipathy Balaji have additionally examined optimistic. These checks had been RT-PCR checks, performed over the 48 hours. Balaji was within the CSK dressing room of their final match vs Mumbai Indians. Nonetheless, speedy antigen checks performed on Monday afternoon indicated a unfavorable check for all three, spreading huge confusion inside the ecosystem.
Proper now, franchises are unable to find out whether or not to belief the checks at first go or do a number of checks earlier than arriving at a conclusion.
🚨 #IPL2021 ANNOUNCEMENT: Tonight’s match #KKRvRCB has been rescheduled. Extra particulars quickly.
— KolkataKnightRiders (@KKRiders) 1620029856000
“What if optimistic checks are being concluded as unfavorable? Aren’t we risking going to the bottom daily? ask sources concerned with the league.
The BCCI is figuring out the extent to which circumstances have unfold inside the CSK franchise, is busy contact-tracing and asking groups to repeat checks on a seamless foundation.
“They don’t also have a central bio-bubble to trace this. The medical firm to which this was outsourced has finished a shoddy job. The medical officer of the BCCI must be questioned on the Normal Working Procedures (SOP) that had been put in place. This can be a enormous mess,” IPL stakeholders informed TOI on Monday.
UPDATE: IPL reschedules at this time’s #KKRvRCB match after two KKR gamers check optimistic. #VIVOIPL Particulars -… https://t.co/Vk4Bed2j0t
— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) 1620027637000
On Monday morning, a high BCCI official flew to one of many cities, the place franchises are based mostly out of, with greater than 500 speedy antigen check kits. “Why had been they already not in place earlier than groups had arrived?” requested these monitoring developments.
Official Announcement:At this time’s match between KKR and RCB has been postponed by the BCCI as per IPL Security Guidelin… https://t.co/3rXAxmP7x4
— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) 1620027503000
Every franchise is privately keen to confess that:
1) There’s critical panic within the camp and cricket is the very last thing on their minds
2) There’s doubt over whether or not all contributors within the IPL – BCCI, franchises/gamers, officers, occasion organisers, broadcasters – are revealing optimistic circumstances, strictly following the SOP and respecting the protocols of a ‘bio-bubble’.
“Is there a bio-bubble within the first place, exterior of what the franchises – not less than some – have constructed for themselves?” ask these within the know.
Optimistic circumstances have hit the IPL solely after journey resumed within the final week of April. Initially of the event, there have been circumstances due to the journey. There’s extra journey taking place over the approaching weeks.
Underneath the present schedule, the IPL is subsequent going to shift to Kolkata and Bangalore – two cities which might be reeling for the time being due to the virus. The circumstances in Bangalore have been relentlessly rising this week whereas in Kolkata, as locals say, “nearly 50% of town is optimistic proper now”.
Can the present version of the IPL realistically proceed? The stakeholders usually are not prepared but to ask this brazenly.
Nonetheless, privately, the identical stakeholders are elevating critical questions and making their particular person stance clear. Listed below are some…
* The IPL has to cease until the BCCI thinks it’s extra necessary than the protection of gamers and everyone else concerned.
* Agree there’s rather a lot at stake and it’s additionally an necessary device of distraction for these caught inside their houses. However that may’t occur at the price of negligence. Both shift the IPL to 1 venue or take a break.
* The BCCI was strongly suggested to shift it to the UAE as soon as once more. They wished to guard the concept of how India is a protected venue for the T20 World Cup. Now it’s reached a stage the place the world is saying the T20 World Cup must be shifted.
* The franchises have been saying it from Day One which the way during which this 12 months’s version has been organised, given the circumstances prevailing, is harmful and the BCCI must revise the protocols.
* Shifting to Kolkata and Bangalore for matches is essentially the most harmful factor to do within the given situation.
TOI understands that Monday’s match between KKR and RCB was postponed solely after “sure officers” put their foot down.
It’s time now for BCCI to take a “very sensible name” on the matter on the earliest.