Nasi Goreng is full of extra flavour, shrimp paste, loads of greens, protein like fried or shredded hen, prawns, and topped with a half fried egg with a runny yolk to coat the rice within the yellowy deliciousness.
Nasi Goreng is a conventional rice dish eaten in international locations together with Malaysia and Indonesia, the title actually interprets to nasi which means rice and goreng which means fried. Nonetheless it’s removed from the Indo-Asian fried rice we’re used to consuming, as that is full of extra flavour, shrimp paste, loads of greens, protein like fried or shredded hen, prawns, and topped with a half fried egg with a runny yolk to coat the rice within the yellowy deliciousness. It’s normally served with recent, sliced cucumbers and prawn crackers. Learn on:
For the Spice Paste:
2 small shallots (55g), roughly chopped
3 medium cloves garlic
1 giant recent inexperienced chili, similar to Fresno or Holland, stemmed and seeded, or 1 teaspoon sambal oelek, (accessible in most Asian meals and spice shops)
1/2 teaspoon terasi (Indonesian shrimp paste), elective
For the Nasi Goreng:
4 cups chilly cooked jasmine rice (21 ounces; 600g) or different medium- to long-grain rice
2 tablespoons (30ml) impartial oil, similar to canola or sunflower oil
2 tablespoons (30ml) kecap manis (see be aware), plus extra for drizzling
2 teaspoons (10ml) soy sauce
Floor white pepper
2 fried eggs, cooked sunny-side up or over straightforward
Sliced cucumbers (elective)
Sliced tomatoes (elective)
Fried shallots (elective)
- For the Spice Paste: Add half the shallots to a mortar and grind with the pestle till a rough purée types. Add remaining shallots, adopted by garlic, chili, and terasi (if utilizing), grinding with the pestle till every ingredient is usually included earlier than including the subsequent. The ultimate paste ought to resemble thick oatmeal in texture. Alternatively, mix all spice paste elements in a small meals processor and course of till they type a paste.
- For the Nasi Goreng: If utilizing day-old rice, switch rice to a bowl and break rice up together with your palms into particular person grains.
- Warmth oil in a big wok or skillet over excessive warmth till shimmering. Add spice paste and cook dinner, stirring continually and scraping the underside of the wok or pan to forestall the paste from burning, till a pungent odor permeates your kitchen and the paste turns a number of shades darker, 2 to three minutes. Cut back warmth to medium at any time if the paste seems to be browning too rapidly.
- Add rice to the wok and stir to coat with the spice paste. Add kecap manis and soy sauce. Stir and cook dinner till rice is evenly coloured and sizzling all through. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Divide rice between two plates and high every plate of rice with a fried egg. Garnish with cucumber and tomato slices and bathe with fried shallots, for those who like. Serve instantly with kecap manis alongside for drizzling.
(Recipe courtesy Critical Eats)
Thanks for subscribing to our each day e-newsletter.